Sign in to follow this  
Greg Witte

Webinar Follow-up: How Does Culture Affect Cybersecurity?

We received the following question during the webinar yesterday - Do you have any thoughts around how culture within organizations affect not only CSF but information security overall? 

I personally think culture has a significant impact.  During the workshops, we used the example of how a culture of safety affects that area of influence.  If managers are lax about safety, people can get hurt badly and overall quality of company efforts will suffer.  If, on the other hand, safety becomes institutionalized, it can become an enabler that brings the team together and creates an advantage.

When a culture of common sense risk management becomes institutionalized, I think that security improves throughout. Social engineering attempts work fewer times, phishing emails work less frequently, and the ISSO is called in at the design phase rather than a week before a project goes live.

Lastly, some of the information security awareness activities can be a lot of fun. That in itself can benefit the organization.

Other thoughts? (Note: We have about a dozen questions that I'll post here for discussion.)

Greg

Cybersecurity or information technology security is the protection of computer systems from theft or damage to their hardware, software or electronic data, as well as from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.

We are at the fore of the cyber frontier, relentlessly continuing innovative solutions that give the world a secure place to experience, serve, and do business with well implemented cyber safety operations.

With decades of mission intelligence linked with the most exceptional tools possible, we preserve businesses facing the attacks of today and equip them for the warnings of tomorrow.